Written By: Carlin Garey
The title can be slightly misleading yet on point at the same time. Any who, the main idea of any of this is how people react to certain puns, and their perspectives onto what they think about them. This may not sound important, but the real reason is why not and too know what people really think about them.
The literal definition of a pun is a play on words relating to a certain standard and/or subject. Therefore, anything that is meant to be used for comedic effect, makes it either a joke or pun. Originally, yours truly was planning on interviewing 10 random people in the hallway by asking/telling them a pun, get their reaction, and walk away slowly.
Then, Mrs. H states, “Why not interview a whole class… Like Mrs. Smith’s, she loves puns.” With that idea in mind, I then wright the 10 puns of different variety and tell the class each one. The following are what were stated in class:
- Yesterday, I accidentally swallowed some food coloring… The doctor says I’m okay, but I feel like I’ve dyed a little on the inside.
- How did the skeleton know it was going to rain? He could feel it in his bones.
- I wasn’t’ originally going to get a brain transplant… But then I changed my mind.
- Did you hear about the guy who got his left side cut off? He’s all right now.
- I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger, then it hit me.
- Why don’t some couples go the gym? Some relationships don’t work out.
- I’d tell you a chemistry joke, but I know I wouldn’t get a reaction.
- What does a clock do when it’s hungry? Go back four seconds.
- When notes get in treble, bass-ically they get put behind bars. The alto-nate punishment is to push them off a clef. And hope they land flat on sharp objects.
- I’m reading a book about anti-gravity. It’s impossible to put down.
As you may have noticed, some were very well planned out, then some were just plain luni crisp and pure stupidity and on a few, some people even guessed the answer. Anyway, the reactions of the majority were entertained and probably glad that they got to avoid biology for a few minutes. Which answers how people would view puns and what they mean towards them.
That does not mean that every person in the world enjoys a good pun or two, but that’s all up to the perspective and view of the victim of the pun. In turn, puns are just very in depth (some not in depth) jokes that are just a play on words.
Photo by: Carlin Garey