Written by Hannah Elliott
February is Black History Month. There are plenty of African Americans/ black people that have been influential to different things, including human rights, tv, and music. Here are 5 African Americans who have impacted our society today.
- Rosa Parks – Rosa Parks is the woman we all learn about in elementary school. She was a Civil Rights Activist who refused to give her seat up for a white person. It resulted in a huge Civil Rights Movement and ended up getting Parks a ton of rewards, including the highest NAACP award.
- Mae Carol Jemison – Mae Carol Jemison was the first African American woman to go to outer space. African American women had been treated very badly over the years, so this was a big deal for them. She was an engineer, physician, and astronaut.
- Stevie Wonder – Stevie Wonder is a musician, singer, songwriter, producer, and multi-instrument player. This is even more impressive because he had been blind basically since birth. He has won 22 Grammys, and a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award. He has been an inspiration to many.
- Serena Williams – Serena Williams is a professional tennis player. She is ranked 1st in singles internationally. She has been ranked by the Women’s Tennis Association 7 different times.
- Barack Obama – Barack Obama was the first African American to become the President of the United States. He was elected in 2008 and served two terms from 2009-2017. He and his wife, Michelle, along with his two daughters, have inspired many over the past 8 years.