Written by Sara Kirkland
Okay guys, Halloween is coming up and we all know what that means…binge watching every Halloween movie possible. To make your binge watching experience a little bit better, here are the top 10 Halloween movies to watch.
- Hocus Pocus (1993) – “After moving to Salem, Mass., teenager Max Dennison (Omri Katz) explores an abandoned house with his sister Dani (Thora Birch) and their new friend, Allison (Vinessa Shaw). After dismissing a story Allison tells as superstitious, Max accidentally frees a coven of evil witches (Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, Kathy Najimy) who used to live in the house. Now, with the help of a magical cat, the kids must steal the witches’ book of spells to stop them from becoming immortal.” (first web source.)
- Halloweentown (1998) – “Marnie, Dylan, and Sophie Piper have their first out of many adventures! On Halloween, while Marnie is arguing with her mother Gwen, the kids’ grandmother Aggie comes to visit. Aggie wants to start Marnie’s witch training before her 13th birthday or Marnie will lose her powers forever. But there is another reason for Aggie’s visit. Something dark & evil is growing in Halloweentown & Aggie wants help to defeat it.” (second web source.)
- Halloweentown ll: Kalabar’s Revenge (2001) – 15-year-old Marnie has just spent two years with her grandmother Aggie While hosting a mortal neighborhood Halloween party at their house, Marnie tries to impress a cute new boy, Kal , by showing him Aggie’s magically-hidden room. Unbeknownst to Marnie, Kal is actually the son of Kalabar and takes the opportunity to steal Aggie’s spell book. Soon Aggie notices unwelcome magical symptoms. She and Marnie travel to Halloweentown to investigate and to fix the problem before the portal between Halloweentown and the mortal world, open only on Halloween, closes at midnight.” (third web source.)
- Halloweentown High (2004) – “Two years after the previous movie, 17-year-old Marnie Cromwell prepares to begin a new school year. She asks the Halloweentown Council to work toward openness between Halloweentown and the mortal world. She proposes bringing a group of Halloweentown students to her own high school in the mortal world. The Council is initially apprehensive, mostly due to the legend of the Knights of the Iron Dagger: a fanatical knighthood who wanted to destroy all things magical. The Halloweentown Witches’ Council, however, agrees to accept the plan after Marnie mistakenly bets “all the Cromwell magic” that her plan will work. If she does not prove she is right by midnight on Halloween, then her entire family will lose their magical abilities. Marnie, regretting what she said to the Council, wants to cancel the program she has made, but her grandmother Aggie opposes, saying that they have nothing to fear.” (fourth web source.)
- Return to Halloweentown (2006) – “18-year-old Marnie decides to forego her original college plans and attend Witch University in Halloweentown. Marnie is offered a full scholarship for her good deeds and for her work in the previous years. Much to her mother Gwen’s dismay, Marnie goes, and her brother Dylan is reluctantly forced along by Gwen to keep an eye on her. The school is not what it seems, as witches and warlocks cannot use magic; instead they learn about Shakespeare and old magic history. Marnie had thought she would learn how to use her magic and is now crestfallen. She runs into her old friend Ethan and makes a new friend named Aneesa the Genie . She also makes three new enemies in the Sinister Sisters, a triad of malevolent, extremely snobby, spoiled, and manipulative witches with whom Dylan is immediately infatuated and are the daughters of Silas Sinister.” (fifth web source.)
- Twitches (2005) – “Reunited on their 21st birthday, twin sisters use their magic powers to save their kingdom from the forces of darkness.” (sixth web source.)
- Girl vs. Monster (2012) – “When Skylar prepares for a Halloween bash with her friends, she unknowingly unleashes a monster. As her world is turned around, she learns that her parents have been the fact that she comes from a long line of monster hunters. It’s up to Skylar and her friends to channel their inner strength and conquer more than just this monster.” (seventh web source.)
- The Nightmare Before Halloween (1993) – “ The film follows the misadventures of Jack Skellington, Halloweentown’s beloved pumpkin king, who has become bored with the same annual routine of frightening people in the “real world.” When Jack accidentally stumbles on Christmastown, all bright colors and warm spirits, he gets a new lease on life — he plots to bring Christmas under his control by kidnapping Santa Claus and taking over the role. But Jack soon discovers even the best-laid plans of mice and skeleton men can go seriously awry.” (eighth web source.)
- The Addams Family (1991) – “When a man (Christopher Lloyd) claiming to be Fester, the missing brother of Gomez Addams (Raul Julia), arrives at the Addams’ home, the family is thrilled. However, Morticia (Anjelica Huston) begins to suspect the man is a fraud, since he cannot recall details of Fester’s life. With the help of lawyer Tully Alford (Dan Hedaya), Fester manages to get the Addams clan evicted from their home. Gomez realizes the two men are conspiring to swindle the Addams fortune and that he must challenge Fester.” (ninth web source.)
- Frankenweenie (2012) – “Young Victor Frankenstein (Charlie Tahan) is a science nerd and outsider at school, but he does have one good friend: his dog, Sparky. But then, tragedy strikes, and Sparky shuffles off this mortal coil. Victor is heartbroken, but his science teacher (Martin Landau) gives him an idea of how to jolt old Sparky back to life. The experiment is successful, and all goes well, until Victor’s fellow students steal his secret and use it to resurrect other dead animals — with monstrous consequences.” (tenth web source.).